Ms. G's Kitchen | My Favorite (Light) Soul Food Dishes Made by My #MAWM

My lovely and gorgeous Mother, Georgeann.
My #Mawm is the best! She's the epitome of grace, strength, and hilariousness! She is my role model and 4'11, animal print-wearing superhero. And while not all superheroes wear capes, she could totally crochet herself one!

In this post, I'm highlighting some of my favorite meals that my mom prepares. Admittedly, we're not always on the same page when it comes to a few of her kitchen concoctions. She can be, let's say, "inventive." Yet remains utterly unphased by any of my (or our loved ones) occasional side-eyes (lol).

The below pictures are from dishes that she recently prepared that get absolutely no side-eyes from me. I appreciate her to no end. Especially when she takes the time and effort to cook and slide one of her brightly-colored plates over to her favorite Daughter.

Crispy Oven "Fried" Chicken

Oven-fried Chicken Leg, Steamed Potatoes and Onions and Salad

This is hands down one of my favorites! My mom often looks for healthier or lighter versions of classic home-style dishes. Prepared with the right amount of seasonings, dipped in flour, and then (plot twist) baked instead of deep-fried - this dish comes through! Oh, and it's surprisingly crunchy!


Collard Greens w/ Smoked Turkey

Stovetop Collard Greens, Onions and Smoked Turkey 

Commonly considered a side dish, I have totally eaten these on their own. And maybe even cold, a time or two. These greens are that good! My mom's slow-cooked, tender, flavorful, and nutritious Collard Greens are paired with smoked turkey, onions and finished with a splash of vinegar to brighten it all up!


Salmon Croquette

Salmon Croquettes with Steamed Potatoes and Onions

Salmon croquettes are a childhood favorite. I may buy fresh, farm-raised salmon from the market now, but before that - canned salmon was the only salmon I knew (lol). The delicate center and crispy cornmeal coating on these handmade patties make for a tasty and nostalgic experience.

Fruit Cup / Dessert


She's always making fruit salads for snacks. So that's usually the "dessert" option available at her house. And that's perfectly fine.

I will bring back all of your containers one day. I love you, "Nessa Girl!" 

No comments